GRADUATION CEREMONY OF SIGNALING & COMMUNICATIONS TRAIN-THE-TRAINER PROGRAMME
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT SIGNING CEREMONY BETWEEN KTMB & IGTC WITH TDA
SPEECH OF DATO’ ZAILANI SAFARI, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, TDA
20 December 2017 | MALAYSIA RAILWAY ACADEMY (MyRA), BATU GAJAH
YANG BERBAHAGIA MR WAN MOHD ASRAF WAN SALLEH, SETIAUSAHA BAHAGIAN, BAHAGIAN INDUSTRI PERTAHANAN, KEMENTERIAN PERTAHANAN MALAYSIA
YANG BERBAHAGIA DATUK IR KAMARULZAMAN ZAINAL, AHLI LEMBAGA PENGARAH, KTMB
YANG BERBAHAGIA MR MOHD RANI HISHAM SAMSUDDIN, KETUA PEGAWAI EKSEKUTIF, KTMB
MR THOMAS PISTRE, KETUA PEGAWAI EKSEKUTIF, THALES MALAYSIA
YANG BERUSAHA MR AZMIL FAHMY ABDUL WAHAB, OFFSET COORDINATION AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER UNIT
GOVERNMENT PROCUREMENT DIVISION, MOF
Dato’-Dato’, tetamu jemputan, pengurusan kanan dan pegawai dari kementerian, agensi dan syarikat.
Para pengamal media, tuan-tuan dan puan-puan.
Assalamualaikum w.b.t., selamat petang dan salam satu Malaysia.
Terlebih dahulu saya mulakan dengan lafaz syukur kepada Allah s.w.t kerana memberi izin untuk kita berkumpul dalam majlis ini.
Izinkan saya untuk meneruskan ucapan saya dalam Bahasa Inggeris.
- First and foremost, allow me to express my deepest appreciation to our Guest of Honor, Yang Berusaha Encik Wan Asraf Wan Salleh, Undersecretary, Defense Industry Division (DID) representing the Deputy Secretary General MinDEF YBhg Datuk Junaidah Kamaruddin, to be here with us today in witnessing one of the historic events in the history of ICP implementation in Malaysia. I would like to also acknowledge our industrial stakeholders here, KTM Berhad, Thales and IGTC. I deeply appreciate each and every one of your presence today.
- Technology Depository Agency (TDA) is an agency established under the purview of Ministry of Finance Malaysia (MOF) as the implementer of Industrial Collaboration Programme (ICP) Policy and Guidelines. The ICP, or the Offset back-then was actually initiated during late 80s when MOF issued the Treasury Circular Letters No. 11, 1987 Guideline for implementation of Countertrade in Government Procurement. In 2002, a study on Offset Program of the National Defence Procurement was conducted and this was when the idea of having TDA as governing-body was mooted during one of the Cabinet Meetings.
Ladies and Gentlemen
- The event we are witnessing today is really an outstanding achievement, aligned with the aspiration set under the ICP implementation. Train-The-Trainer programme (TTT) for Advanced Signalling and Communications is an offset project by Thales, triggered from the procurement of 257 armoured vehicles 8×8 (AV-8) for the Ministry of Defense in year 2010 and the project initiated in 2014. It is very interesting to know the fact that this programme which has benefited a Government linked commercial entity was initiated from a defence procurement. In a normal arrangement, defense procurement will be structured to support defense industry. However, based on a bigger business horizon that Thales is offering, this program was initiated and implemented in a true indirect offset program form where a government procurement from other sector was leveraged to support a strategic area identified by the government in other sector, in this case rail industry.
- This collaboration between TDA and THALES is a result from the implementation of ICP that involves technical and know-how transfer between the two parties. It has gone through some challenges, nevertheless we are persistent in driving the programme and we are seeing the outcomes today. This TTT programme consists of:
- Design and development of a courseware package
- Delivery of training to a pool of local trainers
- Coaching and follow-up of trainers for the first training on their own
- Supply of associated training aids
There are three (3) stages of TTT programme. The first stage is the Introductory Module which were held in Malaysia Railway Academy (MyRA) which was held in 2016. The second stage is the Advanced Module held at Thales Solution University in Lisbon, Portugal. The final stage is the installation of the training lab in MyRA which comes with the training on equipment operation.
- Today, we are celebrating 11 technical personnel who have completed 4-month Advanced Module on railway signalling and communications in Portugal. They are from five (5) institutions namely MyRA, Politeknik, University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), Kedah Industrial Skills & Management Development Centre (KISMEC) and Kolej Komuniti. The 12 trainers are expected to start the training programme in Railway Signaling & Communications in March 2018. We hope the knowledge gained by them will be further developed and enhanced to ensure the benefit to the country. This project will contribute in developing the competitiveness of KTM Berhad in improving productivity and human capital development particularly in the area of signaling and communications.
Ladies and Gentlemen
- One of the reasons why ICP was made mandatory by the Government is to create a platform to close gaps, in particular those related to industry competency, to ensure local industry players a fully equipped to face the current challenges. Therefore, in support of local rail industry requirements, TDA has collaborated with Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran (JPK) in developing the maintenance skills qualifications for Signaling & Communications, and others as required for the local industry development. Once the TVET students have completed the National Occupational Skills Standard (NOSS) Level as per defined by the Department of Skills Development, the students will receive the certificate endorsed by JPK.
- TDA will further facilitate rail industry development program to continuously support the growth of the industry in Malaysia. This includes facilitation through ICP in the area of infrastructures, R&D and local industry development coordination to create an efficient, economical and safe rail-based transport system.
- For continuity, we are going to see today a MoA between TDA and KTMB to ensure the modules and program are imparted to the local industry players. Rail is an important mode of transportation; therefore, we shall have an effective platform with a solid substance to support the industry growth in Malaysia. With the rapid growth in local rail industry, the Government of Malaysia is expected to spend about RM160 billion by 2030 to develop rail infrastructure and new lines. With training programmes in the rail industry established in Malaysia, we fulfil a key pillar in the 11th Malaysia Plan in enhancing human capital development, propelling our country for greater advancement into being a fully developed nation.
- TDA is also embarking into mechanisms to support the green initiatives by the Government. As a start, TDA will be having a MoA with International Green Training Centre Sdn Bhd (IGTC) to carry out green related trainings to identified sectors including rail sector. The Government has set a target to reduce the carbon footprint by 40% by 2020, which is another 3 years to go. A report has said that Malaysia have achieved 33% reduction from 2005-2016. I believe by having some green parameters embedded in the ICP programs, it would further support the initiative to go to a higher number.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
- We are truly glad that the undertaking this ICP mandate knowing to have full supports from all the stakeholders. I would like to congratulate my TDA team, MinDEF, KTM Berhad as well as THALES for the collaboration in making this program a success. I would like to thank the TDA team, KTM Berhad as well as THALES, whom have been working hard for the past weeks in ensuring the successful of today’s event.
Thank you very much. Assalamualaikum.