PUTRAJAYA, 1 November 2018 – Technology Depository Agency (TDA) completed its first Offset Programin respect of Project 3A Coal Fired Power Plant Offset Program with a total of RM33.3 million ICP Credit Valueachieved and contributed to the local industry. This offset program started in 2013 for a 5-year contract which involved TNB Manjung Five Sdn Bhd as the procuring agency, GSE Power System Inc. as the offset provider and the recipients are Universiti Tenaga National (UNITEN) and Multimedia Consulting Sdn Bhd.
The offset program was managed under the Malaysian Industry-Government Group for High Technology (MIGHT) from 2013, and have fullytakenover by TDA since 2016 until completion in 2018. The objectives of this offset program is to provide transfer of technology to local company, to build the capability of simulator development for power plant and to make the simulator as a learning for on-going knowledge transfer and know-how to a local university.
TNB Manjung Five Sdn Bhd was awarded by the Energy Commission (EC) a project to design, construct, own, operate and maintain a coal fired electricity generating facility with a nominal capacity of 1000 megawarts located in Manjung, Perak. Under the offset requirement, TNB Manjung Five with the collaboration with GSE Power System Inc, are required to delivery identified offset projects.
Endorsed by TDA Post-Implementation Audit (PIA), the completion of this offset program has benefited Malaysian beneficiary as below:
- Project management for power plant simulator development project
- Training on simulator hardware, DCS and software architechture and methodology
- Training for selected university personnel on the full scope simulator in the areas of:
- Hardware, simulation and instructor station computers
- DCS and communication with simulation computers
- Power plant system software
- Development of technical skills in developing a full scope of virtual coal fired supercriticial power plant simulator
- Availability of the simulator for the usage of Malaysian power generation companies
- Local capability to modify the plant system software and instructor station human machine interface (MHI)
- Local capability to perform software development for future full scope simulators