The Trent900 Offset Programme is an initiative by the Government in creating a COLLABORATIVE non-defence offset programme in Malaysia.
- A platform for impactful outputs for local industry and academia/RI positioning and enhancement;
- 2 Industry Enhancement Projects were delivered and closed;
- 1 Human Capital Development project is completed and need to be closed;
- 1 ToT project is completed and need to be closed;
- Application of Advanced Material project is delaying due to technical issue and was not able to be delivered under this offset programme;
- Supergrade Tantalum Powder project was not able to be delivered.
The Trent900 Offset Programme has become the platform for the Government to formulate the Malaysian Offset Management Framework.
Case Study: Trent900 Countertrade Programme – Initiation
The Trent900 Offset Programme is one of its kind that it is the first commercial offset programme fully managed by TDA
- Purchase 6 units of Airbus A380 aircraft by GOM for business strategic development.
- 28 units of engine are needed for the aircraft.
- The bidders involve in this activity are Rolls-Royce (Trent 900) and Engine Alliance (GP7000)
- Rolls-Royce has been selected as the supplier of the engines
An Offset Agreement between the Government of Malaysia (MOSTI) and Rolls-Royce was signed on 30th March 2006 for a 5-year implementation period.
Trent900 Offset Programme – the first offset involving civil aero-engine procurement.
- Support the development of Malaysian Aerospace industry
- Develop capacity and capability through:
- Research skills & capability development; and
- Industrial participation & commercilization;
- Create high-income/high skill jobs.
Industrial Enhancement Initiatives
- AMC for T56 Engine MRO
- Aerospace parts and components manufacturing
Transfer of Technology Programmes
- Bio-Fuel for Gas Turbine Engine
- Aerostructure Manufacturing Innovation Centre (AMIC)
- Maerogel Application on jet-engine parts
- Super Grade Tantalum Powder
Trent 900 Offset Programme which was initiated in 2006 has accomplished approximately 50% of its overall.
- T56 Authorized Maintenance Centre (AMC) Certification (Airod Techno Power Sdn Bhd)
- Aerospace Contract Manufacturing (by CTRM)
- Research on Palm-oil for Aero Gas Turbine
- Aerospace Manufacturing and Innovation Centre (AMIC).
- Super Grade Tantalum
- Application of Advanced Material
The Trent900 offset has successfully become a catalyst for economic development contributing more than RM4.4 billion to the national economy.
PROJECT 1: T56 AUTHORIZED MAINTENANCE CENTRE (AMC) CERTIFICATION
The project involved granting of a full Authorised Maintenance Centre (AMC) status for T56 Engine MRO to Airod Turbopower (ATP) Sdn. Bhd. The AMC is needed to strengthen the MRO capability in Malaysia.
PROJECT 2: AEROSPACE CONTRACT MANUFACTURING
The project is to award work packages for the production of secondary engine, both metal and composite based, to the local aerospace manufacturing companies, CTRM Aero Composite (AC)
PROJECT 3: RESEARCH ON PALM-OIL FOR AERO GAS TURBINE
A collaboration project between Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) and University of Cambridge (UC), to develop a database for biofuel combustion properties involving Doctorate students.
PROJECT 4: ESTABLISHMENT OF AEROSPACE MANUFACTURING AND INNOVATION CENTRE (AMIC)
The project has been identified as a replacement of the Condition Based Monitoring (CBM) System project by Rolls-Royce. The failure of CBM project was due to no local company is agreeable to participate with financial contribution.
PROJECT 5: APPLICATION OF ADVANCED MATERIAL
The project focuses on the application development and commercialization of a readily available Malaysian nanotech product. It is a replacement of the Resin Transfer Moulding (RTM) project. The failure of RTM project was due to no local company is agreeable to participate with financial contribution.
PROJECT 6: PRODUCTION OF SUPER GRADE TANTALUM
It is a collaboration betweenMetalysis UK Ltd and personnel from Metalysis Malaysia to perform R&D&C in producing Super Grade Tantalum powder.
|• The delayed has cause offset programme to be extended since 2011 until 2014.
• Secretariat and TDA are proposing this project to be closed.